Sunday, July 31, 2011

Here's what I did at work today...


Being a projectionist at a movie theater means no matter how hard you bust ass, there will always be downtime. I've taken to carting my ink pot, pens, and a brush to work to fill the void with something a little more productive. I like sitting up in the booth like a hermit. The projectors rhythmic chatter lulls me into a trance state and I am free to make with the drawing, at least until the shows are over and I have to do my job. Here are the two I hammered out today. While I was up there ruminating I realized color can fuck off and die. Everything I want to say is done so far more eloquently in black and white. The ink is simple and responsive, but still has that element of surprise when it does it's own thing and I am forced to deal with it. I always think (and maybe erroneously) that you aren't a real artist if you don't paint. Well I think I officially don't like painting. Or maybe I didn't take enough color theory as a student or I shouldn't have dropped out of that intro to painting class (even though the teacher made me feel like a total asshole when he said he liked mine because it looked like I didn't know what I was doing). I think I will always do it as some kind of perfunctory effort to "be an artist." But my true love is one clean white sheet of paper and a pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment