Monday, October 3, 2011

Update: Anthony Bourdain edition

Ok, so we walk all over hell and creation through the narrow streets and underground markets to get to this place, headquarters of Mothers For Peace. These women are amazing, and so welcoming even though we dont speak eachothers language. They have all suffered great loss from the never ending battle between the Turks and Kurds, and came together to protest for peace. Really beautiful and sad stories. So we get a break for lunch and downstairs is this really cute street cafe and theres a ton of people and all their food looks really good, but for some reason I think, no...must have a look around at least. I walk for a few minutes but all I see are empty cafes and I turn to my friend and say, "fuck it, lets go back to the first cafe, Anthony Bourdain says eat where the locals eat, and thats where they're eating so..." A bunch of us sit down and Im explaining Bourdains unifiying theory on street food when the waiter comes up and says, "oh you know him? He ate here six months ago, come see his picture and I will show you the kitchen and introduce you to the chef!" Seriously off my titts excited. The chef is in there working the meat kebabs over a pile of hot coals. The waiter tells us he has Anthony Bourdains phone number if we want it. I ordered what he got...meat extravaganza and the most delicious rice and pita bread Ive ever had. Istanbul you've stolen my heart, Tony Bourdain...I owe you one!

4 comments:

  1. Jealous. Strangely the food is the thing I want the most that you've discussed on your travels. I am very hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAMN!
    You've finally made me jealous!
    >:e

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you got Anthony's number...he'd love your blog! Rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT LOOKS GOOD MEGO!! MAYBE WE SHOULD TRY AND RECREATE SOME WHEN YOU COME HOME.

    ReplyDelete