Sunday, September 11, 2011

Amsterdam Redux

I couldnt stand another stoned horror show, so this time I went to Amsterdam with a plan, hit the museum district hard and fast. Upon the endless urging from Erin and Steve I started with the Van Gogh. He is Hollands pride and joy, I didn't even know he was Dutch...is that bad? It is a true delight to see his work up close, it is so much more expressive than you know. I stood in front of Almond Blossoms sketching and weeping softly in to my notebook. The collection is really expansive and nicley currated. Interesting little asides about the work the museum has done with archiving and analyzing the hell out of every single piece. You can see xrays of the paintings under paintings. Its a lot to take in. Next stop was the FOAM contemporary photography institute. Real cool, some real freaky shit in there. Lovingly rendered photographs of organs and body parts from forensic files on accidental deaths, suicides and murders...along with the autopsy reports. The scarriest was a heart ripped in two by a bullet to the chest, self inflicted. Same photographer, next room...landmines from every country along with what they're made of and how they will fuck you up. The FOAM is a labyrinth and in every nook and cranny there are visual and interactive delights. If you ever find yourself in Amsterdam I would stop by. It was a long day...So as a follow up Max suggested we go sit somewhere pretty and read, thus weed ferry. Very cool if you can hold your shit together when you're stoned, but I can't. The boat is all wood inside and filled with beautiful plants and big windows that look out on the canal. We got a spliff and some tea and set to relaxing, only I started to lose touch with reality and realized outside of the symbolic order is in fact MADDNESS! Had to watch Glee 3D just to get right with the world. Later on Max cooked some horrendous steaks and then there was a really crazy lightening storm and then we all went crazy and then we went dancing. That pretty much sums up the week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg Nilson. I can't quite determine what it is that your blog does to me. It makes my heart beat really fast, and makes me tear a little bit. . . I think it inspires me. It feels alive. You sound amazing, I am thrilled for you. I love reading your details.

    ReplyDelete