Monday, August 1, 2011

The countdown begins...

Today was my last day at The Palm Theatre for a long time. I leave for Europe in 17 days. Holy shit. I am barely able to fathom not having to show up for work for four months, since I haven't had more than two weeks off since I started working at age 16 (I am 26, you do the math). It has become less fantasy and more immanent reality, that yes!!! I am in fact leaving. This trip has been so much work in the making for me, since my natural state is really sitting on the couch watching bad television with my roomies. Paper work sends me into a catatonic state, and this has been more paper pushing in three months than I have done in my whole life. So anyway, I am starting to feel the real gravitas of the situation. I got home today and was greeted by no parking anywhere near my house due to the banging birthday party that was being thrown for my three year old roommate, Eamonn Rook O'Farrell. I don't think in all my twenty six years I have had a birthday so divine. I thought about his first birthday party, which I was in attendance for. I was black out drunk, wholly inappropriate for a toddlers bday, I know. But this year I maintained, had some beers and a few laughs, watched some girls play music in the backyard while being eaten alive by mosquitoes, and very reluctantly sent myself downstairs for the nightly bed ritual. I would like to think of it as some kind of barometer of my evolution as a human being. As I have had the good fortune of watching Eamonn grow up, I too have been growing. I am less of a mess now than I was two years ago, as my therapist and I might heartily attest to. Needless to say, in the madness of the day,  I had little time for picture drawing. There is someone asleep on the floor in my living room at the moment, which means that sitting at my desk until all hours of the night working on my weird shit is out of the question. Although a select few at the party asked if I would lead their children in a few scheduled hours of art magic, and I gladly accepted. That anyone thinks I am worthy of teaching their children anything is a complete surprise and delight. I might be a layabout and a part time drunk but DAMN IT if I don't believe in sewing the seeds of dissent in the minds of young artists to come. The children, they are our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment