Thursday, August 11, 2011

I haven't drawn a picture in a week...

I was sitting in the bank today, waiting for the rubenesque Chicana to call my name for whatever endless business paper work shit I have to do, and there before me was an anthropomorphized truck hemorrhaging money out of every orifice.  I wish that weren't on the wall of the bank, because its a total lie. There is no smiley car full of money waiting for me...there never will be. I have never spent more money in my life than I have for this trip, I will probably be paying my student loans off for the rest of my natural born life, and then my loan officers will take the rest out of my unborn children's flesh. Not that I don't believe the experience is worth it, I am just lamenting the fact that all life costs so goddamn much money. I think if someone could figure out a way to charge me for breathing, they might.  I just want to go to some rad places and learn some shit, and be a better person, shouldn't the government subsidize that? Well they don't, and sometimes they will call you a week before you leave and ask for MORE money, because I haven't already paid them enough. When I was a teenager and I was taking piano lessons from this genius old Hungarian man, he used to get weird at the end of the month when it would come time to pay him. He would always give me this speech how he though it was a crime that he should have to charge money for what he does because it is beautiful and it should be free and we shouldn't need money at all we should all just trade in beauty. If only art and music were a currency. This of course was after we had slaved over his hulking grand piano stuffed in a tiny one bedroom apartment, and downed several greyhounds. I didn't understand him then because I was an asshole teenager, and I had a job and no rent to pay. But god do I ever now. It was currency, of a kind. I can still play the hell out of the piano and it did make me a better person. AND THAT SHIT IS FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment