Thursday, August 25, 2011

I have been in Breukelen for a week now. I think I am finally getting a hold on the acedemic wankery and even starting to thoroughly enjoy it. Today we had an epic discussion about power differentials in desire and sexuality, and masculinity and globalization. Slowly these abstract theories are coming in to focus and I am learning how to think about things more critically which is good...the whole point maybe. Im getting all kinds of wicked smart. I barely have time between class all morning and debates all afternoon then wine drinking cigarette smoking round table at night to do anything else. The people are good, from so many different places, Mary is teaching me Italian slowly as we fight through conversation in english, Karen is the sparkle junkie from Brooklyn who can turn anything into a pop culture reference, Eleanor works at a movie theater just like me only on an island in Maine. Theres so many of us, and I am slowly making the rounds to get everyones story. All the unique snowflakes as Max would say. Its funny how fast this has become what feels like home, or normal anyway. I have my funny little routines just like at home, but different because I am here. There are things I dont miss, like driving a car, talking on a cell phone, showing up for work...Its a good vacation from the drudgery of normal life, even though this life has its drudgery too, its fun because its different. The weekend is coming and I think we are all going to get lost in Amsterdam, you know no big deal.

1 comment:

  1. the effects of the cell phone detox are what I find most interesting....

    ReplyDelete